"Hi there and thanks a lot for visiting my blog. DFTBA!"

3/04/2012

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

book: the Night Circus
written by: Erin Morgenstern
genre: romance, fantasy, historical, young adult
pages: 387
own / library / borrowed
release date: September 13th, 2011
series? no :c
publisher: Doubleday press

note: I can't believe that this book has been lying on my TBR pile for so long. Once I started reading it I couldn't  put it away. This is awesomesauce!

the book:
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.
But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.
True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead. (summary from GoodReads)

my review:
This book is perfect. First of all, look at the cover, it's awesome. The only colours used are black, white and red. Those three colours play a big role in this book. All rêveurs wear these colours, and only these colours. But enough about the cover, since I could ramble about the cover only for hours and hours. 
The characters intrigued me. Celia Bowen, who you could call the main character, even tough you don't read from her POV, is not like any other girl, and not only because she is a magician. She is a great character, sometimes you get to see a little of her feelings and emotions, always you see that she is sarcastic. Most of the characters in this book are different from normal humans, but still they act normal, they make friends and enemies, they fight like normal people do, and it all was so realistic that somewhere in the book I was wondering what was and what wasn't reality. 
The circus is a place I want to visit once in my life. It is a place that sounds super exiting, and it is described as if it is the best circus ever. The author says it has lots of tents, and I want to know what is inside all of them, but you will not find that out, which is too bad. A few times in this book one of the acts of the performers is told about, and it is told as if you're walking inside the tent yourself. With a little bit of imagination you could be walking through the tent, seeing the performance of your dreams. 
Then there is the 'game' that is going on. You don't know what they are doing, or when it will end. And when you find out you wish they never were playing this game, because it's horrible.
The main characters are the players of the game, Celia and Marco, and they are great characters, but the other characters were even better, in my opinion. There were various characters that were all very different but they had one thing in common, which was the circus. All of them were illusionists or rêveurs, which are the followers of the circus.
The end of this book made me happy. And that is strange, because I usually don't like endings like this. Sorry, you probably don't know what I'm talking about but I don't want to spoil it for you. Let's just say that you should read this book, because everyone should read it, no matter if you like or hate historical fantasy. I am not a real fan of the historical, but with this book I just did not care, I was not even fully aware of it, actually :$ 
Then you also have the romance in this book, and it is great! I want to have a romance like that :) Only slightly different, but I can't go on rambling about it because I will spoil the book... *sigh* 
So this is the end of my review, I am too scared that I will spoil it to you, and this book shouldn't be spoiled!!

This is an epic historical fantasy book everyone, no matter which age, will love. You will find out that it is unputdownable, and you will not know what is and what isn't reality. You will want to visit the circus, and who knows, it might just appear somewhere near :)

rating:
Would it be a big surprise if I said that I will give this book 5 stars??? :p

xo Mar
ps: onigod longest review ever... sorry but I just can't stop talking about it *sigh*

No comments: