"Hi there and thanks a lot for visiting my blog. DFTBA!"

3/04/2012

Crossed by Ally Condie

book: Crossed
written by: Ally Condie
genres: young adult, dystopia, romance
pages: 367
own / library / borrowed
release date: 1st of November, 2011
series? Matched #2
publisher: Dutton Juvenile


note: I did not really like Matched, but I decided to read this book, mostly because of the gorgeous cover. I did not love it, so if you are a Matched-lover you might not want to read this review...


the book:
In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake.


Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever. (summary from GoodReads)


my review:
I did not like this one as much as matched! The characters got worse than they already were, the story was boring and I just wasn't interested in it. I have no idea why I opened this book, and most of the times I kinds have an idea why, so that's a bad thing! Also, I wanted to finish this book ASAP, so I didn't read it very well, just well enough to get an idea of what was happening, which wasn't really much.
Cassia and Ky are both runaways, while Xander is just working - he has a mysterious secret which isn't interesting at all IMO, but still I won't spoil it for you - And they are still fighting for Cassia's heart, altough you don't see much of Xander in the book.
You know, this book keeps on tricking me into reading with its beautiful cover. Seriously, it represents the book so well, I keep on asking myself how on earth such a book has such a cover. I wish every book had got a cover like this!! But enough abt the cover art :)
The characters showed no development at all, and if they did the developments were not positive. I think that there was not put enough effort in writing this book, with a little bit more it could have been epic, since the idea of matched is great! It could have been like THG with a little bit more effort, I think...
The 'romance' in this book is not great. Actually, it is not even good... *sigh* maybe I am just not the 'perfect love' kind of girl but to me it's all very unrealistic and unromantic... *double sigh*
The story of this book could have been told in 100 pages, tops, but it was told in 367, which made the story boring. There just wasn't enough happening, and everything that did happen was together with a few questionmarks, because you just did not know what it meant, and why it had to happen.
So I did not like this book, but still, I'm sure there are tons of girls *and boys?* out there who'll love it...


rating:
2.5 stars


xo Mar

1 comment:

Dalene @ A Date with a Book said...

I've seen several not so great reviews for this second book. Hmm makes me wonder what happened. Great review :)