"Hi there and thanks a lot for visiting my blog. DFTBA!"

5/30/2012

House of Night: The Graphic Novel #1

book: House of Night (Graphic Novel)
author: P.C. Cast, Kristin Cast, Kent Dalian, Joëlle Jones
series: House of Night Graphic Novels #1
pages: 132
genres: vampires, young adult, mythology
publication date: November 9th, 2011
publisher: Dark Horse comics


Until recently, Zoey Redbird was an average high-school student worrying about grades, boys, and breakouts. But priorities have a way of changing when you are Marked as a vampyre, enroll in the vampyre academy House of Night, and have to figure out a whole new social hierarchy, affinities for elemental magic, and physiological changes that make you crave blood.

I started reading this graphic novel with high expectations. Not because it was House of Night, but because it was a graphic novel and I LOVE graphic novels. Maybe I would have liked it better without those high expectations, because this graphic novel wasn't what I expected it to be.

This graphic novel's cover looks pretty attractive, but the inside drawings aren't as beautiful as I expected them to be according to the cover. It might, of course, just be me who has too high expectations, or just my own preferences, but for me it just didn't have the WOW-factor. 

The story told in this novel has nothing much to do with the actual series. It took place between the first and the second novel of the actual series. You get to know how Zoey came up with her ideas about how to rule the Dark Daughters. The story is divided into 5 parts, Earth, Water, Air, Fire and Spirit. All of them have a lesson bound to them, about some type of ancient mythology. For instance, there was one about Circe, a Witch from ancient Greek Mythology, and one about Herakles, aka Hercules, a hero from ancient Greece. *not all were Greek, but just to give 2 examples* That was my favourite part about the story, the myths. What I didn't like about it is that the myths were vampyre-ified. Nobody should mess with my myths!

A good kick-off for a graphic novel series, and I will check out the next one, but not the best graphic novel I have ever read.

I give this graphic novel 2.5 stars.

xo Mar

A review copy was provided by the press and Netgalley, in exchange for a honest review. I was not given anything in reward for a positive review, I have just given my honest opinion on this book.

1 comment:

Jaskirat@SeeitORreadit said...

I have not read the House of Night books before but I have heard great things about it!!!!!! I don't like it when the graphic novels are different from the actual story! I am glad to hear you enjoyed it overall though :)

Great blog! Following :)
SeeitORreadit