"Hi there and thanks a lot for visiting my blog. DFTBA!"

5/03/2012

Art Geeks and Prom Queens by Alyson Noel

book: Art Geeks and Prom Queens
written by: Alyson Noel
series? Nope
genre: young adult, chicklit, romance
pages: 240
publication date: September 1st, 2005
publisher: St. Martin's Press


Dorks, Dweebs, Debutantes, and Jocks—Where would you fit in?


Being the new girl is tough—just ask sixteen-year-old Rio Jones. A New York transplant, Rio has no clue how she's going to fit in at her fancy new private school in Southern California. Plus, being late, overdressed, and named after a Duran Duran song doesn't make the first day any easier for her.


Then Rio meets Kristi. Beautiful, rich, and a cheerleader, Kristi is the queen bee of Newport Beach. And Kristi isn't friends with just anyone, so Rio is thrilled when she's invited to be part of the most exclusive, popular clique. Of course, like any club, Kristi and her friends have rules: Always smile (even if you don't mean it), always dress cute (and never repeat outfits), and always flirt (but only with jocks, preps, and rich college guys).


At first Rio is having a great time, but as she becomes more immersed in this jet-set crowd, she figures out there is one last rule that her new friends forgot to mention: Don't cross Kristi . . .



first of all -
I've heard a lot of great things about Alyson Noel's books, especially the Immortals series was recommended to me by tons of people. So finally I decided to pick up an Alyson Noel book. YAY :)

my review:
Already after reading the blurb and a couple of reviews, I knew this book was in the danger zone. I heard them talking about a stupid main character. And I absolutely hate it when the main character is a brainless girl. Still, I decided to give it a chance.
I only need two words to describe the whole plot of this book. Mean Girls. *the first movie*Yeah, that's all I need to say about it. Those two plots are exact matches. *spoilerspoilerspoiler*Normal girl goes to high school gets geekish friends then gets popular friends ,she turns into a royal bitch and her geekish friends dump her. Then there still is the boy that she CANNOT date, which appareantly is enough reason to love him and want.him, and in the end they kiss. Well, I don't think I missed a single important thing.
The main character, Rio, ironically named after a Duran Duran song, starts off as an OK character. Then she wants to be one of the popular girls. She wants a boyfriend, she wants to be everyones best friend. She completely forgets her first friends, the nice ones. If she were a real person and if she would do this to me, I would absolutely hate her. Still, the geekish friends forgive her everytime, and even save her ass a few times!
The pace of this novel was too slow in my opinion. The author could have written the story on 50 pages instead of 240, and still it would have said exactely the same.
The writing style of Alyson Noel was pretty good. That saved the whole book. Or at least, a little...


rating:
1.5 stars


xo Mar



No comments: