"Hi there and thanks a lot for visiting my blog. DFTBA!"

2/22/2012

Before I go to sleep by S.J. Watson

book: Before I go to sleep
written by: S.J. Watson
genre: psychological, amnesia, adult
pages: 364
own / library / borrowed
release date: 14th of June, 2011
series? nope
publisher: Harper

note: This cover is gorgeous! I love covers with eyes on them, and this one is one of the best I have ever seen!!

the book: 
after a mysterious accident, Christine gets amnesia. Every day she wakes up, without knowing who she is, what happened to her and who is lying next to her. Everything she has done in her past is erased by her memory. She thinks she's young, but finds out she's older. She is married with someone she does not remember, has forgotten all of her friends and does not even know her own name. And what if the only person in her life that she could trust is not telling her the truth? 

my review:
This was epic awesomeness! I would call this 50 first dates meets suspense. You are guessing all the time what´s going to happen next, it keeps on surprising you. Altough the ending of the book was not unexpected, the beginning of this book was great.
Sometimes I think this book used too many pages, because you could easily skip a few pages without missing anything, but it was beautifully written so I did not really care. 
Also, the main character, Christine, was a strong character. Most of the people would not fight agains their amnesia as long as she does. Sometimes she acted unrealistic, but most of the times it was all right!
This book is classified as Adult, but it is not more complicated than a Young Adult novel. Actually, this was a pretty easy read, so I could read it when it was late, too :)
Some parts of the plot were predictable, and some were not, as I stated above. You will start to believe everything in the beginning, and then you see that all the others and Christine's mind are fooling you, so you never know what is true and what isn't.

This is a great debut novel and I will sure read more of S.J. Watson's books! A must-read for people who love to read a non-fantasy/paranormal/sci-fi book sometimes, and like suspense. 

my rating:
4/5 stars

xo Mar

2 comments:

Dalene @ A Date with a Book said...

I've seen this millions of times, but don't think I've read a review until now. I will definitely add to my read list. Thanks for a great review :)

Unknown said...

I love the cover and the review sparked my interest. Great title, too!